incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Stahl <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: [Repo][Proposal]After the code is checked in to SVN
Date Sun, 21 Aug 2011 18:07:18 GMT
On 21.08.2011 19:25, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 08/21/2011 06:48 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> 1) Initially, only changes are made to make SVN to more perfectly
>> match the Hg tip.  We know there are 10 or so files that need to be
>> checked in, with attention to EOL style.  And there was a suggestion
>> to update the memo of the initial checkin.   Let's get that work done,
>> and then tag that revision with a memorable label, before we make any
>> other changes.  (Should also give a tag to the current Hg tip)
>
> +1

+1

>> 2) Registration of any cryptographic code in OOo (required for US
>> Export regulations, not sure if this was previously required when OOo
>> was hosted in Germany).
>
> OOo was already hosted in the US, so IMHO need for any additional things.

what is the deadline for this?
hope it is not "ASAP" and it does not have to block the other work...

>> 3) Then do what is necessary to enable anyone who wishes to build to
>> do so.  So confirm we can build, add files, etc., if they are missing.
>>   Get instructions onto the website, or links to instructions.
>> Everything we do after this is easier if we first enable more people
>> to work with the code.
>
> +1

yes; i've already sent a couple of patches to get it to build on my
Fedora box many weeks ago...

>> 5) Identification and removal of any code that does not have a
>> compatible license
>>
>> 6) Then I think we can open it up to integrating CWS's, fixing bugs, etc.
>>

>> Does this make sense?  I'm open to variations on this, but I think we
>> need to stage the work somewhat like the above.
>
> If we cannot do AOO 3.4 as a kind of exceptional release then we have to
> do 5) before the release.

is it possible to do 5) and 6) in parallel?

then several people can work on different things.

> Furthermore, we really have to think when exactly we need to branch, so
> that we have the first branch for a AOO 3.4 release and the endless
> trunk "branch". IMHO we should do it at latest before 6).
>
> Please don't put everything new into the same branch!
>
> We had OOo 3.4 already in Beta mode and I don't recommend to open up
> this again for our first release. We should finish the work for the
> nearly finished codeline, learn how the things are working and take this
> into account when preparing for the next release.

"when to branch for 3.4 release" is a very good question.

one thing i really don't want to do with SVN is to merge that release
branch back into the trunk (we used to do that with our OOO330 HG
repository, but that was HG... sigh...).

so this would mean to do the licensing cleanup before creating the 3.4
release branch (otherwise we'd have to do it twice).

also, the CWSes that are targeted at 3.4 should be integrated before the
branch-off.

then there are some CWSes that aren't targeted at 3.4, but could be
integrated now.

the obvious option is that these cannot be integrated until the release
branch is created.  this is definitely the risk-minimizing option.

another option would be to look if we consider some of these "low-risk"
enough to re-target them to 3.4.

regards,
 michael

--
"Beware of the Turing tar-pit in which everything is possible
 but nothing of interest is easy." -- Alan Perlis