incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Gr...@me.com>
Subject Re: binfilter (was RE: OOO340 to svn)
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 18:49:55 GMT
Am 06.08.2011 19:45, schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
> " What does this show? Others behave much worse as we would do. If the
> first AOO release will be the last with binfilters and we assume a
> runnalble/installable state of 5-10 years (depending on OS, unforseeable
> progress, etc...) this will be fine from my POV."
>
> My concern about this rationale is that those of us who see no problem are making a likely
irreversible decision that impacts those who do and may not even be aware of what we are doing.

> With regard to consumption versus production, I agree that it is easy to stop supporting
production when no native consumers are likely to be available any longer and the OpenOffice.org
document model evolves to support expanded functionality of further ODF specifications.

> So if we propose to retire binfilters, we need some way to make it clear that is happening
and what the workarounds are for someone who finds themselves in need.  And we definitely
need to keep it in a form where someone could revive it at a later time, even if only part
of some sort of document-forensics and -recovery/conversion effort rather than integrated
into future releases.

Forgot one point: We are not talking about stopping support for
something like PDF/A where readability is guaranteed for years/decades.
We are talking about wildly, unplanned grown old binary filter formats
in the old days of the office where the model was simply streamed out
and in, patched and repaired many times, never documented (for good reason).

> This is not the last time we will need to deal with this (and the same fate could eventually
befall the native format currently supported by OpenOffice.org.)

> Also, if there are available specifications, whatever their quality, we probably need
to see to their preservation as well.

--
ALG