incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Gr...@me.com>
Subject Re: binfilter (was RE: OOO340 to svn)
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2011 17:01:52 GMT
Am 05.08.2011 18:47, schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
> The only problem with [2] is that it assumes conversion is possible/permissible.  That
is not always the case.  Now, I do not know there is anyone who has that problem and is (or
will soon be) unable to run older software that accesses those formats, but we do need to
be careful in considering this.

The current 3.2 version would be the last one to have both, how ling
will it be installable and runnable on evolving systems? Can only be
guessed, but usually it's another 7-8 years.

I have no numbers, but how many people still have files in old formats?
With introduction ODF years ago it was preselected as the standard.

When you load old files, change and safe them you are invited to use ODF
for the file save. The office was not even as widely spread as it is now
before ODF was added as default format, thus potentially much less
documents in the old formats were created, compared to ODF.

I think something like old file formats have to be deprecated one day,
and in my opinion there was a quite long conversion/transition period
now. As others already mentioned, binfilter is not even installed by
default for 3.2 (if I remember correctly), and I have not seen any
complaints about that yet.

To All: Does anyone use one of the old binary formats or knows anyone
who does actively nowdays? Please answer if you know about something
like that, this would be valuable input in this discussion.

Regards,
	Armin

> In the future, this problem will become more likely because conversion is prevented by
technical means, not just an usage case (e.g., when a document is digitally-signed and the
signature must be preserved).

--
ALG