incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: User support: beyond forums or lists
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 23:34:37 GMT

On 24 Aug 2011, at 00:20, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's clear to me that we need to do better than we have in the user support area,
if we can do so. Not only will that benefit users and improve our reputation, it will allow
us to work smarter, not harder. I will pursue this, along with other interested people. It's
something valuable that I can do while the techies are moving websites and working with code
etc.

>> Setting up a suitable system and populating it with suitable information will be
a big task and take quite awhile, especially if we don't have enough skilled people to do
it. (I'm referring to content, not infrastructure.) All the more reason to get started now
with planning what we want to do, so we can start doing it ASAP.

> A system like this is a big investment.  It is not easy.  In fact, it
> probably would not be doable unless we collaborated with LibreOffice
> and related products on this.  But I think it is worth the investment.
> Glad to help in any way I can.

That would be an interesting proposal. We seem to have skipped the discussion about whether
AOOo actually wants to aspire to having a full-scale consumer binary product and all the support
requirements that go with it. So far the LibreOffice project has avoided creating support
forums that "compete" with the openoffice.org lists; would it be smart to explore a way to
have this broader, collaborative support in place?

S.