incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Fundraising
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 14:25:51 GMT

On 14 Aug 2011, at 14:24, Rob Weir wrote:

> We have a trademark policy that states what uses are permitted without
> additional permission, and which uses may be allowed with specific
> permission from Apache.  The policy does not differ based the
> incorporation status of the requestor.  However, the application of
> the policy, on a case by cases basis, will obviously take into account
> the specific circumstances of the request.

All true with regard to the use of trademarks, but mostly orthogonal to the question of the
AOOo project's attitude towards third-party fundraisers. AOOo is in a unique position compared
with all prior Apache projects of which I am aware and the various comments on this thread
indicate we need to give thoughtful and clear guidance.

> So I think it would be unwise of us to give any
> blanket approval for trademark permissions to non-profits in general.
> We should take each case on its own merits.

Noted and agreed, although I've not seen anyone propose otherwise.

S.