incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Who wants to build OpenOffice?
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:02:01 GMT
Hi,

Le 31 août 11 à 17:51, Donald Whytock a écrit :

> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:42 AM, eric b <eric.bachard@free.fr> wrote:
>> Windows is 90% of the users (saddly true) and if somebody is
>> interested, I
>> can upload a build somewhere (if successfull, of course).
>
> Why sadly?

I'm talking about the OS use distribution. The truth is Linux is
around 2 or 3% max of the users -> sad.

> I thought half the point of OOo was to be an alternative to MS Office.

Copy MS Office was maybe not a good idea, but I won't spend more time
on the topic  (we're not friday ;-) )

> The Linux community is the choir that OOo preaches to.

Linux is less than 3% of users, and will probably not grow much.

> Speaking of Windows, is MS VC++ 2010 Express sufficient for a build?

I don't use 2010, but 2008 VS.

The main reason is, I don't have the time to fix all the current
build issues. I'm contributing to OpenSource in my free time (of
course, if somebody wants to hire me at full time, I could think
twice ... ;-). Second, I'd like to respect the compatibility with
older versions of Windows as long as possible. To tell you more: I do
OOo4Kids / OOoLigtht build since more than two years on Windows, and
accidentaly did some OpenOffice.org builds too.

Regards,
Eric

--
qɔᴉɹə