incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Bergmann <stephan.bergmann.second...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [code] stuck at offapi on unxlngx6.pro
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 06:47:18 GMT
On Aug 29, 2011, at 9:26 PM, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
>> any reason why we build our own preprocessors and don't use
>> the C toolchain preprocessor that is already required to
>> build OOo?
>>

> This is an important question. If we need another
> preprocessor there are options(1), but we need to now
> why.

At least for idlc, I think the best solution would be to get rid of a C preprocessor completely.
 Even if de-facto (if not also de-jure) .idl files have always been passed through a C preprocessor,
so in theory could make use of all the C preprocessor's features, this has practically always
only been used for plain #include <…> or #include "…" stuff (plus internal and external
header guards, #ifndef XXX/#define XXX/.../#endif and #ifndef XXX/#include "YYY"/#endif),
I think.

So, it should be possible---without breaking backwards compatibility in practice---to change
idlc so that it ignores all #… lines except for #include lines, which it then handles via
a more efficient mechanism than textual inclusion.

Would still have to have a look at soltools/cpp, though...

-Stephan