incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: How to handle the downloads?
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 19:14:05 GMT

On Aug 1, 2011, at 12:07 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> AFAIK the current projects at Apache doesn't have high download numbers
>> compared with OOo. So, a download request can point directly to a mirror or
>> a mirror list is shown and the users have to choose themselves from where to
>> get the software best.
>>
>> For OpenOffice this doesn't work. With download numbers up to 500,000 per
>> month we need a more flexible and scaleable solution. I don't know if or how
>> fast we could reach these numbers again. But even with the half it would be
>> a lot to handle. Furthermore we have to present a) a simple way to download
>> for the end-users that is b) *not* stressing a few/specific mirror servers
>> to their maximum.
>>
>> The current solution you can see on "download.openoffice.org" works very
>> well. However, the infrastructure behind this is still hosted on Oracle
>> server. So, we have to transfer this, too.
>>
>> I don't speak about domain, website and its content. That's already on the
>> list for migration. It's about the download redirector behind the colored
>> webpages (http://download.services.openoffice.org/files/). Here MirrorBrain
>> is used (www.mirrorbrain.org) to recognize from where the download request
>> comes and which mirror server to choose that is near to the user.
>>
>> I would like to continue this service and IMHO it shouldn't be that
>> difficult when I look at the requirements:
>> http://www.mirrorbrain.org/requirements/
>>

> The obvious question would be:  Is there a problem with using the 262
> mirrors that Apache already uses?

Maybe, if we are hosting the current legacy of non AL2.0 licensed distributions it will be
an issue.

> http://www.apache.org/mirrors/
>
> Do you think that they cannot handle the load?
>
> From what I'm reading, the Apache system does not just give a static
> list of mirrors to the user.  There is some logic to ensure that the
> same server is not at the top all the time.  And there are mechanisms,
> like closer.cgi to suggest a reasonable mirror for a given user, e.g.:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi
>
> I wonder whether it would make sense to try the Apache mirroring
> infrastructure until we're convinced that it won't work?

The python for the Apache Mirrors is here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/site/trunk/content/dyn/mirrors/mirrors.cgi

Mirror list is here:
http://www.apache.org/mirrors/mirrors.list

Someone mentioned that there is a lot of overlap with OOo mirrors.

Regards,
Dave