incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: Commit messages
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 17:54:13 GMT
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Marcus (OOo) <> wrote:
> Do you remember this one and its usage? ;-)
> It doesn't make sense to have a issue ID for *every* problem that
> can/should/has to be fixed in the code. Especially for a build breaker fix
> in a single line of code a detailed commit message is really sufficient.

Something to keep in mind is that we agree to have different policies
during different phases of a release cycle.  For example, at the
beginning of a release we would have a lenient policy:  Commit Then
Review, no requirement for pre-existing BZ issues, etc.  But then
after we branch for stabilization, or maybe after beta, or at some
point where stability is the overriding concern, then we could switch
to a policy of: Review then Commit, no commits unless accompanied by a
BZ issue number, etc.

There is a time for "bureaucracy" and we should not hesitate to be
strict.  But maybe we can narrow this to a small portion of the
release cycle?

> Marcus
>>> So people would not be allowed to improve things without first filing
>>> issues? Isn't that the kind of bureucracy that gave OOo a bad
>>> reputation among people who then created LibreOffice?
>> i also think that requiring an issue id and thus an issue in the
>> bugtracker for every commit is overkill.
>> there are lots of trivial problems that always pop up (especially
>> considering that we support many different platforms, and it's not
>> really possible to test all of them before every commit).
>> on the other hand, if there already is an issue for whatever is fixed by
>> a commit, then that commit should be required to contain the issue id.
>>> Also, having an issue number in the commit message is not really that
>>> helpful, if the commit message is a short one-liner, the bug report
>>> doesn't describe what the changed/added/fixed code actually does
>>> either, and no useful comments are added.
>> indeed, that sometimes bothered me in the past as well.
>> if a bug fix isn't totally obvious, then there should be a comment
>> somewhere, whether in the code, the commit message, or the issue
>> referred to by the commit message, as to what went wrong and why this is
>> the right fix.
>>> --tml
>> regards,
>>  michael