incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: [Repo] SVN ETA? (was Re: Request for comments: Community Wiki Services web page.)
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 17:43:05 GMT
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> I think we agree we want a complete Hg (or git) on Apache Extras, so we can preserve
what we can and also so we can cherry pick anything we find that we need to draw over to the
SVN repo, to repair problems on the SVN, etc.

> Greg Stein set up one project (ooo) but nothing has been moved to it:
> <http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/ooo/>
>
> I'm unclear what the existence of all the Child Work Spaces does to this - I assume we
only get one Hg repo per Apache Extra Project and I don't understand the relationship among
the multiple repos used in OpenOffice.org. (I've never used Git or Hg, so that is a blind
spot for me.)

> [Nosing around OpenOffice.org I could find no source repositories, although release tarballs
are stated to be available.  I probably don't know where to look.]

> I'm all in favor of doing the least possible to create the Apache extra.  "While we're
at it ... " tasks tend to add too many variables in case there are problems and don't have
a history of great success.

At the very least, someone should download EVERYTHING in Hg and get a
database dump or whatever other portable archive format Hg allows,
preserving history, etc., make a tgz of that and get it seeded on
BitTorrent.

> Having a way to do further work at leisure is what I hope for.
>
> (I see that LibreOffice has gotten down to one, but that doesn't help here and I'm not
sure what that means in any case.)