incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: [Issues] [DISCUSS] Can we track Issues Somehow? (was RE: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?)
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2011 13:09:42 GMT
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> My question is essentially whether there is a choice we could make for an issue tracker
now that gives us an important tool for managing existing project issues without impairing
our ability to migrate the OpenOffice.org bugzilla when we are ready to do that.

Why not use the existing OOo Bugzilla?    I see that others have
opened or modifed 185 issues in OOo Bugzilla in just August 2011.

http://openoffice.org/bugzilla/

That is the general theme of the migration, right?  Use existing
support forums until we cut over to their migrated versions.  We're
not setting up temporary user forums.  Use existing doc wiki until we
cut over to migrated doc wiki.  We're not setting up a temporary doc
wiki.  Use the existing language projects until we migrate them to
Apache.  We're not setting up temporary language projects.  Etc, Etc.,
Etc.

Why wouldn't the same be true of reporting defects?

> I don't understand such systems well enough to make a recommendation.  I am asking if
anyone else has knowledge of one or more approaches that would achieve that.

> If not, we get to wait until the OpenOffice.org bugzilla is migrated, however that is
resolved.

Why wait?

> I don't find wikis an easier alternative.  If I had, I would not have raised this question.
 I think I was clear enough on what I consider the advantages of issue trackers.

>  - Dennis
>
> SIDE COMMENTARY
>
> Someone suggested posting patches to the list for various things, and I was relating
to that with regard to posting patches to an issue tracker where they stay visible.  I don't
have any patches in mind.

> I enter bugs in bugzilla reluctantly.  I do it when I have to.  Perhaps that has to
do with how the bugzillas I've used are configured.  My attention on LibreOffice was an accidental
choice because I wanted to follow the action there at a time when I became more interested
in interoperability with existing implementations and OpenOffice.org was already in some sort
of doldrums.  It is gratifying to get results on bugs I have reported to LibreOffice.  I
am able to provide support in an immediate way there, and I will continue with that satisfying
activity also.

> When there is an Apache code base and a way to make similar contributions here, I will
do that here too.  I'm not waiting.

Where's Ours?)

> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 11:11 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> A tracked issue keeps things in one place, it provides a record of open work items
and the actions on it are apparently posted to the list.  So it is much easier to follow
the ones you care about, review them, and so on.  It is also a safer place to post patches,
feature requests, and so on where they can sit until we are actually ready to do something
with them.  The record of progressing action is simply different than tracking wiki pages.

> You were originally asking about issues related to migration.  I don't
> expect that will include many patches, feature requests (at least not
> outside of the list discussions).
>
> If you have other issues of a more general nature, why not just stick
> them in the existing Bugzilla?  Nothing there will be lost.  It might
> be locked to updates for a day or two during the actual migration.
> But up to that point all issues entered there are slated to be
> eventually migrated to an Apache host.
>
>> I miss having one.  We're going to need one, it would be good to figure out how
to remove the roadblock involved in worrying how to preserve the OpenOffice.org bugzilla if
possible.

> That part's easy, at least conceptually.  Someone steps up and volunteers.
>
>> I also have no idea how many issues we are missing from public contributors because
there is no one to place them.

> Don't you think the public would be more familiar with the OOo
> Bugzilla tracker that has been around for years than any new,
> temporary issue tracker that we might set up?  If you want, we could
> post a link to the OOo BZ from our home page, for the benefit of those
> who are newly involved with the project.  Post-migration, the URL
> should be the same.
>
>> What I do instead, for specifics to the implementations, is post bugs on LibreOffice
and use their user list.

> So you can do the same for OpenOffice, right?  Or is there some
> problem I'm not seeing with this?
>
>> But we have plenty of work items around the migration here, and if we had an issue
tracker, I would hope that is more inviting for folks taking on something they see as immediately
within their grasp.

> I still think for migration-related issues, the mailing list and the
> wiki are the best places.  Adding a third place to store such
> information will just scatter the information more than concentrate
> it.  If we had used an issue tracker consistently from the start it
> might have been different.  But we didn't.
>
>>  - Dennis

are involved in the migrations we're struggling with.

>> Do we?  I mean, do we need something more than discussing them in
>> clearly-labeled threads on the mailing list?  Or tracking plans on the
>> wiki, as we are doing already?
>>
>>> 2. We don't want to foreclose how we end up finally migrating the OpenOffice.org
bug tracker and all of the history that represents.

>>> I don't know enough to see how to have (1) and (2) both.  Can we choose one
quickly for transitional use, and then merge the OO.o bugs with it or merge it with the OO.o
bugs, whichever works?

>>> It looks like three choices have been proposed:
>>>
>>>  1. Apache JIRA
>>>  2. Apache bug-tracker
>>>  3. Google Code issue tracker (available on Apache Extras)
>>>

>> I started tracking some items on the wiki, as a short term approach.
>> Since there appears to be a great deal of enthusiasm for using the
>> wiki, how about start that way?  If we're dealing with a dozen or 2
>> issues or fewer, then setting up a JIRA or BZ issue is overkill.
>> Remember, we're already tracking planning activities related to the
>> migration on the wiki.  It isn't clear that trying to tease action
>> items out of the plans on the wiki and then placing them in JIRA does
>> anything for us.
>>
>> Also, we should avoid the seductive illusion that activity is a
>> substitute for progress.  Having volunteers move forward on the code
>> check-ins and on the real Bugzilla migration would be progress.
>> Churning on issue tracking would not.
>>
>>> I'm all for ease-of-use.  How can we have a working issue tracker off of the
critical path around migrating the OpenOffice.org bug tracker without getting in the way of
that more complex effort?  Do we have to choose one for the migrated bug tracking now or
can we resolve that later?