incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: [WWW] Web analytics
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2011 01:49:04 GMT
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 08/13/2011 12:30 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
<snip>
>> Remember, even if we used Piwik, the data would be in the US.  All
>> user accounts for Apache, all wiki accounts, all mailing lists
>> subscription data, etc., is in the US.  We have a jurisdiction.
>
> So, it's in our hands to protect them and don't have to trust others
> (companies).

That's an interesting question.  Trust Google or trust ourselves?
Where do you keep your retirement savings?  In a bank?  Or under your
bed?

I think Google has the incentive and the investment to ensure the
security of the data.  If they screw it up, they lose billions.  If we
screw it up, we say "whoops".  Which gives the visitors the best
assurances?

Of course, you could argue that Google is the larger target, and more
people are trying to hack Google than are trying to hack Apache.  But
that also means that Google has more resources deployed to harden
their services against hacking.

There are not perfect choices here.  But I still keep my money in the bank.