incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2011 22:17:21 GMT
On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Andy Brown <andy@the-martin-byrd.net> wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> I poked around and found this page:
>>
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Special:Statistics
>
> Good find.
>
>> This lists some additional roles (with counts)
>>
>> Administrators (26)
>> Bureaucrats (4)
>> Editors (20)
>> Reviewers (5)
>>
>> Those are in addition to 35,020 User accounts.
>>
>> Curiously, it reports only 5 of the 35,020 users as having been active
>> in the past 7 days.
>
> Personally I am surprised there have been any edits since the announcement
> of transferring to Apache, let a lone in the last week. Shows that someone
> is still interested.  I would like to find out what as edited.
>
>> How we authorize people for these roles and what qualifications are
>> required for these roles is an important question.
>>
>> There are a similar set of questions we should ask about the support
>> forums, what the roles are and how PPMC oversight maps to them.
>
> I would think that the PPMC and Committers would be the logical choice.  The
> administration is still our responsibility.  Currently we have members that
> are listed in admin roles for the wiki and for the forums.

A reasonable set of guidelines might be:

0) The permission to set user permissions should be reserved for PPMC-delegates

1) Any permission that allows actions that cannot be logged or cannot
easily be undone should be reserved for PPMC-delegates

2) Any permission that allows one user rights over another user
(banning, suspending, locking pages, etc.) should be reserved for
PPMC-delegates

3) Other permissions can be shared more broadly.

The normal case would be to have PPMC delegates be committers.  If not
now, then they would be obvious candidates for to become committers.