incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 02:14:55 GMT
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> It's an odd situation.  In many ways an users@openoffice.org list would appear to remain
useful but I think it creates a decision crisis for users to have too many of these.

> What I notice about [libreoffice-users] and also [libreoffice] (the dev list) is that
many user-level reports have to do with (1) interoperability between a version of ODF-based
software and another format (Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel being prominent).  The other
kind of interoperability is among versions of ODF-based software where an older version works
differently (often better) than a newer one.  These are also often related to interoperability
with software having different native formats.

That's the nature of support almost anywhere. Very little software
operates in a vacuum.  You are part of a stack and have interactions
with the OS, with other apps, with peripherals, all from other
vendors.  The nice thing is, with commercial products at least,
companies would work together to support their mutual customers.  In
other words, rather than just passing the buck and bouncing the
customer around, the support engineer from company A would get on the
phone with the support engineer from company B and compare notes.  At
least that is how we did back when I worked in support, many years
ago.

> Sometimes, the inter-version comparisons are between an OO.o release and a subsequent
LibreOffice release.

> There are also general questions and tips that work for any recent OpenOffice 3.x and
LibreOffice 3.x releases and their documentation.

> However, I don't think we can expect users to sort out which is the right list for these:
LibreOffice-specific, OpenOffice-legacy-specific, Apache OpenOffice (nothing to talk about
yet), or some common OpenOffice shared space.

> So, realistically, I think it will be super-users and their cousins, including developers
and documentation authors, who will notice cross-over cases and perhaps guide users to an
appropriate place while also providing useful answers.

One thing that is different in community led support is the
motivations.  In the commercial space, support engineers are generally
rated on productivity and/or customer satisfaction.  Depending on the
ratio, this can lead to passing the buck or not.

With community volunteers, the motivations are not going to all be the
same.  For example, there is no FIFO discpline for answering questions
on the current user list.  Some questions are never answered.  It is
based on the interest of those answering questions.  This is natural,
in a sense, but doesn't necessarily meet user expectations.  That is
one reason why I think we need to put an emphasis on avoiding support
questions..

> For bug reports, I think it is always going to be with respect to a release that an user
is operating with, and sharing what is a common-mode problem across forks/derivatives and
their releases is going to depend on developers noticing and talking to each other.  We might
not be able to share patches but we can definitely attempt to share issues that we may have
in common.

We can share patches in one direction, AOOo -> LO.  Whether the
patches are easily integrable will depend on the degree of code
divergence.  But shared patches are the lowest form of reuse.  I'm
hoping we can move it up component-level reuse at some point.