incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: How to handle the downloads?
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 22:49:38 GMT
On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 6:42 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 08/02/2011 12:15 AM, schrieb Ross Gardler:

>>> I've looked at this both pages:
>>>
>>> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi
>>> http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi
>>>
>>> When comparing it with the one from the current OOo project you should be
>>> able to see big differences:
>>>
>>> - too many links
>>> - too much data on one page
>>> - too much information to read to get an overview
>>> - too less clear structure
>>
>> So what do you want? A single download link that automatically selects
>> the most appropriate mirror for the user?
>
> Yes. Everything else is not end-user compatible and needs to much effort to
> explain.
>
>> That's easily done. I think you might be confusing the way that some
>> projects choose to implement the download with how OO.o would be
>> expected to implement the download.
>>
>> The ASF does not care what your download page looks like as long as
>> you use the CGI scripts to ensure that an appropriate mirror site is
>> used.
>
> Hm, let's see how independent the download thing really will be. ;-)

Well, I think it is obvious that it is better to have a a single
mirror system with the ability to customize the UI for each project
than to have each project seek out a different mirroring network.  In
other words, let's try to solve this with a JavaScript "hammer" if we
can, and save the VM "hammer" for if we really need it.