incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: [ooo-user] was RE: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 20:21:04 GMT
On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Manfred A. Reiter <ma.reiter@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/8/31 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
>> Something else to think about for the ooo-users list: file attachments.
>>

> The experience with the german OOo-users list have shown
> that attachments should be banned. Today it is not an art piece
> to save a file in net and refer to a link to it.

Did you give the users some sort of automated error message if they
tried to add an attachment?

That is the part that concerns me, that we silently strip the
attachments.  This will just lead to increased noise:

1) User posts message with attempted attachment

2) User notices attachment is missing and sends the note again, saying
"sorry, I forget the attachment" (Users often blame themselves)

3) Seeing the attachment is not there again, they are angry and post
another note, saying, "Where the #%$% is my attachment"

4) Helpful support person comes in and says that attachments are not
allowed and points them to alternatives file sharing mechanisms.

I think it would be good if we can avoid the initial confusion.