incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: [WWW] Web analytics
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2011 01:42:00 GMT
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Gavin McDonald <gavin@16degrees.com.au> wrote:

> [...]

And that's fine.  There will always be a level of background noise in
the data.  Other factors include users who share machines, or users
that have multiple machines.  Because of that we shouldn't put much
credence in absolute numbers.  The interesting thing is the change in
numbers, the variation from the baseline.

For example, imagine we see a sudden spike in new visitors (or what
the analytic thinks are new users).  When that happens, is certainly
possible that this was just caused by a large number of repeat
visitors at the same time suddenly installing anti-virus that cleans
out their cookies on a weekly basis.  That is not impossible.  But the
more likely explanation is that we actually did have a spike in new
visitors.

>From marketing perspective we can use this kind of info to gauge the
effectiveness of different outreach techniques.