incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 00:18:44 GMT
On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> The changes are good at showing where we are as developers.
>
> The unfortunate point is that users@openoffice.org is still a functional list with several
posts in a day and the change is hiding that list.

> Until there is ooo-users@i.a.o we shouldn't hide users@ooo.
>
> Does anyone think we should wait to create ooo-users?

I've been wondering the same thing.  I started following
users@openoffice.org around a week ago.  It is getting some traffic,
but not a lot.

I think the larger question is this:  How do we want to support users?
 Mailing list?  Forums?  Both?

There are some advantages to getting the user questions all in one
place.  That gives a single place for us to monitor.  It also gives a
single place for users to search to see if their questions had been
previously asked/answered, etc.

Since we are dealing in many cases with less technical end users, the
mailing list interface itself will require support, e.g., users unable
to figure out how to unsubscribe.  Since the support forum does not
require subscription, that is one less thing to worry about.

What if we just had support forums, but no users list?  Would we miss
anything?  Would users?  Note that phpBB forums allow a person to
subscribe to a forum or a topic, so those who want to receive emails
can.  But they would need to go back to the forum website to respond.

-Rob

> Regards,
> Dave
>
> On Aug 22, 2011, at 4:09 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

sufficient to delete the "Users Mail List" row and to keep the "General OOo Mail Lists" row
as it points already to the modified webpage.

>>> We are acting a little quickly.
>>
>> Really? ;-)
MLs have lost a lot of users/posts.

>>> Shouldn't we have an ooo-users@incubator.apache.org before we delete the Users
Mail List on the OOo site?

>> The data is still there. It's just the collected link list that is no longer present/visible.

>>> The old version is carefully hidden here [3]
>>>
>>> [3] http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/www/mail_list.html
>>>
>>> Until we move the users@ooo list I think that needs to be added back to [2] and
then [2] checked into to [3].

>> But until this all isn't live it won't help to bring over the possible new dev's.
I think it's OK to start now to point to the new mailing list(s).

>>> BTW - Creating the support area is one of the next items in the podling site.
[4]