incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:34:03 GMT
On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 08/19/2011 02:48 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>>
>> As my preceding forwards indicate, we're getting some interesting
>> posts to dev@openoffice.org, including offers of help, but they are
>> not getting adequate responses.  We're missing opportunities here to
>> grow the project.
>>
>> Is there anything we can do to improve this?
>>
>> 1) Continue as now, and I'll forward "interesting" posts to ooo-dev?
>>
>> 2) Send a note to dev@openoffice.org telling them that we've moved
>> over to ooo-dev and inviting them to join?
>
> It's OK for everyone who is still subscribed to that ML. But not everyone
> who wants to participate is already subscribed.
>
>> 3) Auto-responder for dev@openoffice.org telling them that we've moved
>> over to ooo-dev?
>
> Not a good solution in the case of spam. They would get an answer, know that
> it's a valid address and start mass spamming.
>
> E.g., I'm still managing the dev@distribution.oo.o and
> mirrors@distribution.oo.o ML and 99% is spam (up to 20 per day).
>
>> 4) Shut down dev@openoffice.org to new posts?
>
> No

So why wouldn't we want to shut down that list?

dev@openoffice.org is getting 20 spam per day.  I'm a moderator on
ooo-dev and we see maybe 1 spam every 2 weeks.

Real posts at dev@openoffice.org are infrequent and are not getting
responded to.   But ooo-dev is clearly where the thriving dev
discussion is occurring.

Aren't these good reasons to consolidate the dev discussion in one
place? Is there any advantage to have it be fragmented across two
lists, especially if one list is mainly getting spam?