incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Scope/Mission of AOOo
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:53:14 GMT
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> Could you point us to your proposal?  Or should we still be looking at
>> your earlier proposal, the one I linked to?  When you have a new
>> proposal, I'll be glad to comment.
>>

> The email you snipped all the content from in your reply included a number
> of proposals :-)    I've reproduced some of them below for your convenience.
>

>> But note that a proposal to discuss something isn't really a proposal.
>>  A proposal is a proposal for a particular action.  We should try to
>> limit undirected chatter on this list.  This is a working list, for
>> AOOo dev.  We need to preserve focus.
>>

> On the contrary, ideas that extend beyond the scope of "I would like to do"
> have to be discussed before firm proposals can be made. Otherwise the
> proposals get dismissed out of hand by opponents because they don't have
> consensus, as I think you have just proved.
>
> So:
>
> * I  suggest we review realistically what binaries (platforms and languages)
> can be sustained once the project is fully operational, seeking named
> participants to take responsibility for each of them, and then collaborate
> with other projects to ensure that the user community continues to be fully
> served. It may be too early for this discussion.

Apache projects tend to avoid carving out designated ownership of
sub-project areas.  That tends to degrade into territorial behavior
that is anti-collaboration and anti-community.  Although a person may
take the lead on building the Windows port for a particular release,
this is done without assumption that someone else might also work in
that area.  So I don't think we will have named/designated "owners"
for various platforms.  The project owns the release.  The
responsibility is with the PPMC.

That said, I believe we already have volunteers on board who have
expressed interest in supporting all platforms that OOo has, except
Solaris.

If anyone wants to collaborate on Solaris, please speak up.

> * I suggest that end-users should be supported by shared forums or a
> GetSatisfaction-style collaborative venue serving all OpenOffice-family
> projects, hosted on the OpenOffice.org domain so it's easy to find. This
> discussion is already in progress and my suggestion is a rough summary of
> possible consensus.

We're already doing that today on the OOo support forums, yes?  Are
you proposing something different than that?