incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: OOo trademark/logo usage request
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 15:19:26 GMT
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 9:14 PM, Peter Junge <peter.junge@gmx.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have received a trademark usage request from the BHV publishing house in
>> Germany. BHV is frequently publishing a package called "OpenOffice.org <x.y>
>> für Ein- und Umsteiger", means OOo for beginners and people migrating from
>> other suites (no idea what the English equivalent of "Umsteiger" is). This
>> package includes a handbook and a DVD with the OOo binaries [1] [2].
>> Distributing the binaries is no problem of course, and according to the
>> Apache trademark policy [3] using Apache trademark names in books is also
>> granted without any approval. What would be remaining is BHV's request to be
>> using to OOo logo [4] on the book cover, within the book and on the label of
>> the DVD. As far as I understood former discussions on this list we can
>> handle this issue here. I would advocate granting the OOo logo usage to BHV,
>> as such books foster the public visibility of OOo.
>>

> Hello Peter,
>
> Here's how you can push for the approval of this.
>
> 1) Create a proposal thread: [PROPOSAL] Give BHV permission to use Logo.
>
> 2) Include in the email the exact thing you want us to approve.  For
> example, if it is for a specific book, give the ISBN number.  Is it
> for a series of books, name the series.  I think we'll want to know in
> general:  Who are we giving permission to?  For what trademarks?  For
> what use?  And for how long?  It would be great to have an image of
> sufficient resolution that we can verify that the usage acknowledges
> the trademark and does not imply Apache endorsement
>
> 3) Say that you are seeking "lazy consensus" to give the project's
> approval, contingent on approval from Apache Branding.  Say that if
> there are no objections within 72 hours that you will follow up with
> Apache Branding at trademarks@apache.org for the final approval.
>
> 4) If Apache Branding approves then maybe we'll have some record
> keeping on our end.   I don't know how that works at Apache.  But it
> seems that either Apache Branding or the project should be keeping
> records on these things.  Mailing list archives are nice, but a file
> in SVN would be even better.
>
> Does this make sense?

And note the general pattern of this:

1) Make it clear that you are making a proposal

2) Give sufficient details of your proposal

3) State that you are seeking lazing consensus and will go forward to
implement the proposal if there are no objections in 72 hours (or some
longer period if you wish)

I think you did a great job with #1 and #2.  But the key one is #3.
If you wait for someone to say "Good idea, do it", then you will wait
for a long time.  But if you use lazy consensus, then you will either
be free to act in 72 hours, or you will get objections.  Either way,
you are driving your proposal toward resolution.  It is the power of
volunteers -- people who are willing to act on their ideas -- that
makes Apache work.