incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject OpenOffice.org Improvement Program, Apache Migration and Privacy Policy
Date Sat, 20 Aug 2011 15:13:19 GMT
Existing OpenOffice.org prompts user after install on whether they
wish to participate in the "OpenOffice.org Improvement Program".   The
dialog says, "If you are willing to participate, we will collect
anonymous statistics about how you use OpenOffice.org.  This data is
used to identify usage patterns".

A few points on this:

1) Where does this data live today?  What server?

2)  This data likely has some value to the project.  Is it coming to
Apache?  If so, we need a plan for determining whether this data needs
to be treated as sensitive. For example, did it collect IP addresses?

3) As part of the transition to Apache, will the collection point for
this data be moving to a different address?  If so, what effect does
that have on legacy installations of OOo?  Will it slow them down?
Cause a time out error for the user?  Or is it handled silently and
with no user impact?

4) Does any of this impact the privacy policy for the project that is
currently being drafted?