incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: OOo trademark/logo usage request
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 15:14:27 GMT
On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 9:14 PM, Peter Junge <peter.junge@gmx.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have received a trademark usage request from the BHV publishing house in
> Germany. BHV is frequently publishing a package called "OpenOffice.org <x.y>
> für Ein- und Umsteiger", means OOo for beginners and people migrating from
> other suites (no idea what the English equivalent of "Umsteiger" is). This
> package includes a handbook and a DVD with the OOo binaries [1] [2].
> Distributing the binaries is no problem of course, and according to the
> Apache trademark policy [3] using Apache trademark names in books is also
> granted without any approval. What would be remaining is BHV's request to be
> using to OOo logo [4] on the book cover, within the book and on the label of
> the DVD. As far as I understood former discussions on this list we can
> handle this issue here. I would advocate granting the OOo logo usage to BHV,
> as such books foster the public visibility of OOo.

Hello Peter,

Here's how you can push for the approval of this.

1) Create a proposal thread: [PROPOSAL] Give BHV permission to use Logo.

2) Include in the email the exact thing you want us to approve.  For
example, if it is for a specific book, give the ISBN number.  Is it
for a series of books, name the series.  I think we'll want to know in
general:  Who are we giving permission to?  For what trademarks?  For
what use?  And for how long?  It would be great to have an image of
sufficient resolution that we can verify that the usage acknowledges
the trademark and does not imply Apache endorsement

3) Say that you are seeking "lazy consensus" to give the project's
approval, contingent on approval from Apache Branding.  Say that if
there are no objections within 72 hours that you will follow up with
Apache Branding at trademarks@apache.org for the final approval.

4) If Apache Branding approves then maybe we'll have some record
keeping on our end.   I don't know how that works at Apache.  But it
seems that either Apache Branding or the project should be keeping
records on these things.  Mailing list archives are nice, but a file
in SVN would be even better.

Does this make sense?

-Rob