incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Fundraising
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:51:57 GMT
On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shane wrote:
>
> "Note that the issue of monetary contributions and/or donations is a major
> one, especially since there are real policy differences between how
> OpenOffice.org used to work under Sun/Oracle and how the ASF does it's
> fundraising.  In particular, the ASF has a fundraising@apache.org team and
> VP who work on fundraising for all projects; individual projects do not
> specifically solicit for funds (other than to link to the ASF Sponsorship
> page, etc.)."
>
> "I would urge the PPMC to start a separate thread dealing with the
> contributing.oo.o page, the relationship with SPI, and any other fundraising
> matters."
>
> "Get a description of any pre-existing ways that funds might have come into
> the project in the recent past, figure out a proposed plan for what the PPMC
> would like to do in the future, and then work with fundraising@ (a privately
> archived list) to move forward."
>
> As suggested I'm starting a new thread. As a start can anyone post here any
> ways that they know OOo generated funds and if possible the main contact
> details of those leading that project.
>
> Team OOo is the one I think most people are familiar with but what about any
> others?

Donations went to Team OpenOffice.org, e.V, or to SPI (for US
donations).  I'm assuming that Oracle does not control either of these
accounts.  I'm assuming as well that Apache and the PPMC has no
control over these accounts.

So first thing we should do, one we control the wiki, is change this page:

http://contributing.openoffice.org/donate.html

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think an Apache
project can have a private fund, or solicit donations for a 3rd party
one.

Maybe have it point to here instead:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/contributing.html#Paypal

Higher level question is this:  is there any particular reason that we
think AOOo has fundraising needs that are not covered by Apache's
fundraising?  Apache provides the servers, the domain registrations,
they have conferences which we are welcome to attend, they have a
press office, etc.