incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: [Repo][Proposal] OOO340 SVN Dump file import
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:32:19 GMT
On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 2:38 AM, Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 15.08.2011 23:48, Michael Stahl wrote:
>
>> On 15.08.2011 18:46, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> We've been discussing for two months now how to get Hg over to SVN.
>>> There have been several suggestions for how the CWS's and complete
>>> revision history could be migrated over, but little progress has been
>>> made.  Either the proposals didn't work, or no volunteers stepped
>>> forward to implement them.
>>>
>>> The alternative proposal was to just check in the tip of the trunk,
>>> without history, and then migrate Hg to Apache-Extras.org, where Hg is
>>> supported.  I've made some progress on this proposal.
>>
>> very good!
>>
>>> Here's what I did.  I'd like some review, to make sure I didn't screw
>>> anything up. I am neither an Hg nor a SVN expert.  But I do have a big
>>> harddrive.
>>>
>>> I used Subversion command-line client, version
>>> 1.6.17-SlikSvn-tag-1.6.17@1130896-WIN32.
>>>
>>> I first brought down OOo, both the trunk and the language stuff, into
>>> separate directories:
>>>
>>> hg clone http://hg.services.openoffice.org/OOO340
>>> hg clone http://hg.services.openoffice.org/master_l10n/OOO340/
>>>
>>> I then moved these into a common directory structure, as Ingrid had
>>> earlier suggested:
>>>
>>> ooo/trunk/core --- all the OOO340 stuff
>>> ooo/trunk/l10n -- all the language stuff
>>>
>>> I removed the .Hg directories before proceeding, so I had a clean local copy.
>>>
>>> I then created a local SVN repository, enabled auto-props to get the
>>> proper EOL treatment and imported the project:
>>>
>>> svn import c:\merged file:///c:/svn-repo/ -m "initial import"
>>
>> a potential issue when doing the import on windows is that the execute
>> bit of the files may get lost (i think windows filesystems don't support
>> that natively).
>
> Ah, yes, that's a good point. From past experience I don't recommend
> doing any critical work on OOo repositories on Windows. Even cygwin is
> just a crudge and there are many pitfalls. As this should be the base
> work for the new project we definitely should take no risk here and do
> the import and create the svn dump on Linux or Mac OSX.

I've uploaded the dump file.  There are no abstract, non-specific
risks there.  There may be errors.  But those would be the kind of
errors that could be described in detail.  And they may be the kind of
errors that could be easily fixed.  But we won't know until someone
reviews the dump file.

I could certainly repeat the steps on Linux, but that does not
eliminate risk from misusing hg, svn or any other source of human
error.  We'll need to do more than poke a stick at the dump file to
really understand what is in there.

Is anyone planning on actually reviewing the dump file, e.g., loading
it into a local repository, checking it out and looking at the
resulting source tree?