incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 14:51:02 GMT
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Andre Schnabel <Andre.Schnabel@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Von: Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com>
>

>> > There is no need to try to find something in my mails what I didn't
>> actually write.
>> >

>> Andre,  perhaps you forgot, but you did speculate on this earlier in
>> the thread, when you wrote:
>
> Oh, sorry, but I did not see this as speculation ...

>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&from=20110702130619&days=30&limit=500

>> > that OpenOffice.org is a project with (still) a strong name but without
>> > community contributions?
>
> If there are no contributions, then there are no contributions. Plain simple
> logic to me.
>
> But ok, your's might be different.

Still speculation.  The alternative speculation (or theory, or
hypothesis, or informed speculation or hypothesis with a cherry on
top) is that there are thousands of contributors, out there, but they
have nothing to work on right now, since they typically are more
engaged at certain points of the product release cycle.

Personally, I think extrapolations from the past are almost worthless
at this point.  We have ODFAuthors,org now.  We have LibreOffice.  We
have less investment from Oracle.  We have more investment from IBM.
OpenOffice has moved to Apache. And we have interest from new
contributors who were not involved in OOo previously.   We can't just
assume that the sun rises the next day, the rooster crows (or is it
the other way around?) and everything is exactly the same it was
before.  There will be changes and not all of the changes will be ones
that we control.  But we will not succeed if we just go on auto-pilot
and pretend that it is 2008.

I don't have all the answers.  Far from it.  But I hope I have some of
the questions.