incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: [www][wiki] Web, Wiki, and Participation (was RE: Making mailing lists useful ...)
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 18:16:21 GMT
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

On Aug 12, 2011, at 9:30 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

>> +1 on
>>
>> " I think the value of opening up that list to a broader range of
>> contributors is worth the cost of the extra click."
>>
>> - Dennis
>>
>> In my experience editing a wiki and creating a patch are qualitatively and quantitatively
different.

>> Editing a wiki, especially one that is inviting (Media Wiki qualifies for me, others
not so much), provides for discussion and has an important internet feature: disintermediation.

>> The appeal of wikis (and forums too) is that it provides disintermediation on behalf
of non-expert participation.  And it has immediacy, something we must not undervalue.  You
don't get Wikipedia by a procedure that involves submitting patches. Not ever.

>> I think every approach we assess here should be tested by how it invites greater
participation.  That does not mean we grant committer status to every bloke who knocks on
the door, because that is about the provenance of the code base and the integrity of releases.

>> There are amazing activities that benefit from end-user support, peer support, and
developers contributing in visible ways that are not significant in terms of Apache licensing
and issues around releases.  But developers can provide perspective and transparency using
the community playground too.

>> So, for example, the main web site for the project needs to be non-user-edited for
technical as well as policy reasons.  Then one question would be how little can we have there
in order to gain the contributions of non-developers/-committers in all of those places where
they can shine -- and perhaps be(come) experts of another kind through those contributions.

>> The proper question, for me, is not how much to have under committer control and
PPMC-intermediation, but how little we can have without increased ceremony and technical barriers
because of an over-riding consideration.  Very little should trump open, casual participation.

> ++++1.
>
> On the wiki, a user may or may not have editing rights, but other than that the wiki
is designed to allow change.

> The whole html vs mdtext question that Kay has been raising is all about how to work
on the website in a most casual manner with the least amount of "ceremony". One of the key
advantages of the Apache CMS is making it easy for Committers to modify content on the fly
also makes contribution comparatively more difficult for non-committers. For non-commiters
this means installing a whole document build system.

> One approach could be to modify the Apache CMS web-gui to allow non-committers to browse
and make patches. I don't know how hard that would be to do.

I like that idea.  A "sandbox" where anyone can enter markdown and get
a preview, but not commit the changes.  Then allow easy generation of
a patch.

But I think that is still most appropriate for "core" pages.

Like many other unresolved threads on this list, we're still churning
on how we distinguish:

1) Core website pages which should only be directly edited by Committers

and

2) Additional pages which are considered to be part of the project's
current or potential documentation set, and which must be under Apache
2.0 or compatible license

and

3) Subsidiary "community" pages which should be editable by everyone,
regardless of license

OOo was #3, but for all content.  This worked, but only because the
project maintained an army of volunteers to keep the website and wiki
in a reasonable shape.  The typical Apache website is more #1.  iCLA,
required. Army, optional.

It is possible that #1 and #2 are the same thing in the end.  I don't
know.  But I think it is useful to think of these 3 categories, and
realize that in the end, not everything is going to end up in a single
bucket.    For example, there are parts of the existing OOo wiki that
cannot be moved to #1 or #2.  They have incompatible or indeterminable
licenses.

The technical challenge, as I see it, is how we can move -- where
permitted by license -- content among these three categories with the
least effort.  Allow control where control is needed.  But don't
enforce top-down control everywhere.  I think this is possible, but
will be far easier if we're all using the same application.  In other
words, if we're doing the core website, the core doc and the community
work all in MediaWiki, then it should be possible to make this work.
If we do it with a mix of Apache CMS, CWiki and MediaWiki, it might
also be possible, but with far greater effort.

> A search box on the main site can point to google and can search both the main site and
the wiki.

> When we are ready to consider each OOo project site for conversion we should send an
email to ooo-dev to determine which way that site should go - CMS or Wiki? We can label the
thread with "[www][${project}]". We can also ask for someone to step up and lead the content
conversion process for a project.