incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: An example of the license problems we're going to face
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:39:29 GMT
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Suppose someone wants to take parts of
>> the AOOo code, along with the associated documentation, and create an
>> iPhone app from it.  The ALv2 would permit them to do this with the
>> source code, but CC-BY 3.0 would not allow the same for the
>> documentation.  Similarly, one could not take the documentation, add
>> value to with additional content, and then sell it for $0.99 for the
>> Amazon Kindle.
>>

> Please can you explain why you believe this to be so?

"You may not impose any effective technological measures on the Work
that restrict the ability of a recipient of the Work from You to
exercise the rights granted to that recipient under the terms of the
License."

IANAL, but that was the clause that got attention on legal-discuss
when reviewing CC-BY 3.0.

-Rob