incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: [www] Ext / Temp repository stability ( was Extensions and templates site down )
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 17:37:00 GMT
On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 1:06 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> [from out of left field]
> Would members consider transferring ownership of the current repository
> hosted on the OSUOSL server to a third party, perhaps created
> specifically to take this over, and then working with them to create the
> indirect reference site under the AOO project, filtering out
> un-acceptably licensed items as a way to achieving option #2. This would
> move the entire repository without needing to locate individual authors.

I don't see how we can claim ownership of the content on the OSUOSL
server.  It was not part of the Oracle SGA, as far as I know.  So it
is not ours to give to a 3rd party.

But if a 3rd party steps forward and is willing to navigate the
licenses and figure out way to host them all, then I'd wish them the
best of luck.

The main technical things we need to coordinate are:

1) How are submissions made to the catalog

2) How is the catalog queried?

3) How are extension updates propagated?

4) Do we want a single catalog, in the style of Firefox plugins, or
allow multiple catalogs, perhaps filtered by support category or
license, like Ubuntu?

5) What do we need to do to ensure a clean programmatic interface to
the catalog (a RESTful service) as well as a good end-user UI?

6) Is there a way we can manage, with sufficient user data protection
provisions, some sort of recommendation engine, where extensions are
recommended either based on user actions, or based on ratings and
similarities to other users (collaborative filtering)?

7) Is there anything we can do to allow the user to interact with
extensions (browse, sort, filter, download, rate, update, etc.)
entirely within OOo editors?

So in general, I think this is an opportunity to do more than just
re-host the existing extensions site.  It is an opportunity to rethink
how users and extensions authors could interact.