incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 14:10:00 GMT
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Andre Schnabel <Andre.Schnabel@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
>> Von: Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com>
>

>> > I think there is a difference between informed hypothesis and
>> speculation
>> > :-)
>>
>> And neither is the same as facts.  I'm concerned when I hear
>> paternalistic statements of "our contributors will never post patches"
>> or "They would never ever sign the iCLA", or "If we don't let them
>> contribute anonymously with 1-character passwords and fake names under
>> an eclectic license of their choice then they will kill themselves".
>
> Well maybe - just maybe - you may consider that the people who try to give
> you some advice have been dealing with exactly those type of contributors
> for the last couple of years, while IBM (according to your own words
> was not the best citizen in the Ooo community ecosystem).

I do consider that.  I'm sure their views are honestly held.  I'm not
ignoring them.   But there is a huge difference between an opinion on
what you personally would prefer or do versus an opinion on what you
think thousands of others would prefer or do.  I can accept the former
while giving much less weight to the latter. I see no reason to accept
as the gospel truth the views of 3 people claiming to speak for
thousands when we have the easy ability to reach out to the thousands
directly.

> Btw. I have mot seen anybody stating such statements as you quote. The only
> thing i saw was people pointing to risks. You may ignore a certain amount
> of risks, but finally these sum up.

There are risk either way.  For example, the risk of having a wiki
containing product documentation that no one can copy or modify
because it is not under a proper license.

> You need not care about me (I'm not an apache committer) but it's sad that
> you even try to ignore those people who are strongly committed to OOo at
> apache.

Generally, it is in bad form to start every conversation with a
statement along the lines of, "You probably will ignore me" or "You
may not care what I say" or "You'll probably will think this is a bad
idea", etc.  Have enough respect for your own ideas that you think
they are worthy of serious consideration.  And have enough respect for
others on the list that you assume that they will consider your
thoughts serious.  It poisons the conversation from the start when you
start in a defensive tone.

Regards,

-Rob