incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: An example of the license problems we're going to face
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:52:56 GMT
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

>> > Please can you explain why you believe this to be so?
>> >

>> "You may not impose any effective technological measures on the Work
>> that restrict the ability of a recipient of the Work from You to
>> exercise the rights granted to that recipient under the terms of the
>> License."
>>
>> IANAL, but that was the clause that got attention on legal-discuss
>> when reviewing CC-BY 3.0.
>>

> Ah, so Kindle-specific. Thanks.

Not really.  That is the consumer side of it, certainly.   But the
application of "sealed storage' goes far beyond consumer applications.
 For high security applications, for example, you might want to
restrict access to applications and associated static data files.
Interestingly today there are reports of the Australian Department of
Defense doing a trial of OpenOffice.org  They would probably disagree
with any assertion that only book publishers have an interest in such
"technological measures".