incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 21:33:54 GMT
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2011, at 1:49 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
>>> I can understand Rob's arguement that we have to split ourself to give
>>> support for mailing list(s) and forum in parallel. However, I believe that
>>> it would be an advantage when the normal, average user has a choice where to
>>> go to get an answer.
>>>

>> So let's be clear on what we're proposing.  In order to give the users
>> more flexibility, so they don't need to choose between a list or a
>> forum, so they can just continue to do exactly what they do today,
>> with no change, we will create, moderate and maintain 10 new mailings
>> lists, as well as the associated archives:
>>
>> ooo-users-en.i.a.o
>> ooo-users-es.i.a.o
>> ooo-users-hu.i.a.o
>> ooo-users-it.i.a.o
>> ooo-users-ja.i.a.o
>> ooo-users-nl.i.a.o
>> ooo-users-pl.i.a.o
>> ooo-users-vi.i.a.o
>> ooo-users-zh.i.a.o
>>
>> Is that that idea?  If so could we get names for 30 moderators,
>> please, 3 per forum?  .
>
> It is the idea. Except that each language is added as requested.

I'm proposing/requesting them all.   I haven't heard anyone from the
en user list pop over here and ask for a list, so none of are being
created based on any real analysis of user need.  I've seen zero
analysis of traffic for user lists versus forum.  I've only heard
arguments that some users like mailing lists, some like forums.  So
I'm propiosing to just create all of them now.  It is senseless to
discuss this further if we're not bring any facts, just opinions.  So
JFDI.  Starting with the 10 user lists.  Then we can move on to create
the other 600 project related lists.  Then maybe we can get on to
incidental matters, like writing code.

> How many PPMC moderators? - I think a minimum of one and they are responsible to the
rest of the PPMC for recruiting greater coverage and nominating those with proven merit on
the list for committership. That's my recollection of prior discussion.