incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 13:39:02 GMT
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Eike Rathke <ooo@erack.de> wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> On Tuesday, 2011-08-23 11:11:35 +0200, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>
>> And very often they write to the list but aren't subscribed. So they
>> don't get the answer unless someone is CC'ing them.
>
> That actually is a failure of how the list is setup when it has Reply-To
> pointing to the mailing list address (AKA Reply-To mangling). Without
> Reply-To a Reply-All goes to the sender and the mailing list.
>
>> In a forum all in one place. You can search, write and can get
>> answers. It's up to us if a subscription is needed. It would work
>> without.
>>
>> Furthermore, I don't think that mailing lists are common for the
>> average user. But forums are.
>
> Mailing lists are much more accepted by those who actually help because
> handling is much easier than any web forum. You can setup your own
> scoring, flags, delete unimportant stuff in your personal archive and so
> on. To get the best of both worlds best would be a forum gated to
> a mailing list and vice versa. Searching the mailing list would also be
> possible at mail-archive.com, or gmane..
>
>> >What if we just had support forums, but no users list?  Would we miss
>> >anything?  Would users?  Note that phpBB forums allow a person to
>> >subscribe to a forum or a topic, so those who want to receive emails
>> >can.  But they would need to go back to the forum website to respond.
>
> And that just sucks.
>
>> I don't think that we or the users would miss anything because there
>> is no chance to miss something as the communitation method is not
>> existing.
>
> Well, I try to avoid forums whenever possible.

I can see the arguments either way.  What I don't see is an argument
for doing it both ways.  Dividing the attention of the volunteers
providing support and the users looking for support will help no one.

Do we have any rough stats for the relative traffic on the user list
versus the support forums?  Not now, but when 3.3 first came out.  Was
one getting much more use?

I think Dennis suggested having a "discuss" list for non-support user
threads.  That might be an idea.  But I think Apache projects calls
this list "general" instead of "discuss".