incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Scope/Mission of AOOo
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:25:58 GMT
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
>>
>> > So:
>> >
>> > * I  suggest we review realistically what binaries (platforms and
>> languages)
>> > can be sustained once the project is fully operational, seeking named
>> > participants to take responsibility for each of them, and then
>> collaborate
>> > with other projects to ensure that the user community continues to be
>> fully
>> > served. It may be too early for this discussion.
>> >

>> Apache projects tend to avoid carving out designated ownership of
>> sub-project areas.  That tends to degrade into territorial behavior
>> that is anti-collaboration and anti-community.  Although a person may
>> take the lead on building the Windows port for a particular release,
>> this is done without assumption that someone else might also work in
>> that area.  So I don't think we will have named/designated "owners"
>> for various platforms.  The project owns the release.  The
>> responsibility is with the PPMC.
>>

>> That said, I believe we already have volunteers on board who have
>> expressed interest in supporting all platforms that OOo has, except
>> Solaris.
>>

> All platform/language combinations?  Do you have a pointer to the list
> pelase?

Is this really all you wanted to discuss when you said yesterday:

"I think we still need to have a serious discussion about the scope of the
ambitions of AOOo - it's been raised before but deferred pending actually
having a repo to work on."

Is that your "serious discussion about the scope of the ambitions of
AOOo"?  You just want to know what languages we will support?

>> If anyone wants to collaborate on Solaris, please speak up.
>>
>> > * I suggest that end-users should be supported by shared forums or a
>> > GetSatisfaction-style collaborative venue serving all OpenOffice-family
>> > projects, hosted on the OpenOffice.org domain so it's easy to find. This
>> > discussion is already in progress and my suggestion is a rough summary of
>> > possible consensus.
>> >

>> We're already doing that today on the OOo support forums, yes?  Are
>> you proposing something different than that?
>>

> This is the conversation that's in progress, about mailing lists needing
> migration from Oracle infrastructure; I had assumed you were following it.

I'm giving you the opportunity to raise these "serious discussion
about the scope of the ambitions of AOO".  Are you saying that this is
just a question about migrating support forums.  Seriously?

-Rob