incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [email] RE: [Discuss] ASF hosted openoffice.org email service [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Sat, 20 Aug 2011 20:00:49 GMT
On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> I'm concerned that we are still conflating two different problems.
>
>  1. One has to do with name@openoffice.org where this is a personal forwarding set up
for some user (or entity) and it forwards to another e-mail address.  If these are preserved,
forwarding them to some other email address to then be forwarded to the original entity does
not make a lot of sense.  The issue here is that the entity is known by that email address
and has connections that access that entity by that email address.
>  It is a good idea to preserve that service so that the entities that have use of the
individual ones can somehow manage their forwarding.  I would not want to figure out how
to retire it until later, and with considerable warning.  Having an individual's e-mail address
disappear is not a pleasant experience.

I agree that it is very convenient to have a permanent email
forwarding service provided at no cost by a third party.  But I'm not
seeing how this fits within the ASF's organizational mission.  How
does this help us develop and publish open source software?

-Rob