incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: openoffice.org domains transferred to ASF
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2011 20:00:56 GMT
On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> Dear PPMC: please note that a few days ago Oracle and the ASF signed the
> legal agreement to transfer ownership of a variety of ooo related domain
> names to the ASF.  Yay!
>
> Along with the other great work on moving content, you need to work with
> infrastructure@ to ensure that the actual domain name registration ownership
> is transferred to the Apache infrastructure team - at least, for any domain
> names that the podling definitely wants to continue using.
>
> The list of domains includes:
>
> http://openoffice.org
> http://testopenoffice.org
> http://openoffice2009.com
> http://openoffice-gratuit.com
> http://openoffice-pt.com
> http://openoffice-pl.com
> http://openoffice-nl.com
> http://openoffice-fr.com
> http://openoffice09fr.com
> http://de-openoffice.org
> http://deopenoffice.org
> http://www-open-office.org
> http://wwwopen-office.org
> http://de-openoffice.com
> http://deopenoffice.com
> http://es-openoffice.com
> http://esopenoffice.com
> http://fr-openoffice.com
> http://fropenoffice.com
> http://it-openoffice.com
> http://itopenoffice.com
> http://en-openoffice.org
> http://enopenoffice.org
> http://es-openoffice.org
> http://esopenoffice.org
> http://fr-openoffice.org
> http://it-openoffice.org
> http://itopenoffice.org
> http://nl-openoffice.org
> http://nlopenoffice.org
> http://openoffice.org.il
> http://itopenoffice.org

Most of these don't appear to have much independent content.  I wonder
whether something like this would be more maintainable going forward,
to have a destination page for each language:

Assuming our eventual TLP home is:  http://openoffice.apache.org, then
we could have:

http://openoffice.apache.org/de
http://openoffice.apache.org/es
http://openoffice.apache.org/pl
http://openoffice.apache.org/it

and so on.

Then have the existing domain names redirect to these.

Alternatively, we could do this via openoffice.org addresses:

http://www.openoffice.org/de
http://www.openoffice.org/es
http://www.openoffice.org/pl
http://www.openoffice.org/it

or even via subdomains:

http://de.openoffice.org/
http://es.openoffice.org/
http://pl.openoffice.orgl
http://it.openoffice.org/

Any committer should be able to add a new language at
http://www.openoffice.org/foo, but wouldn't adding a new subdomain
require working with Apache Infra.  Or is there some magic we can do
with Apache server to make these map automatically via a rule?

But I think this all leads back to the same basic question:  Do we
want users to have a different home page than project volunteers?  I
think so.  But we can still do that page via markdown, stored in SVN.
The question is only what domain names we direct to those pages.