incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: FAQ on the Oracle contribution and migration plans?
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 13:20:42 GMT
On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
> We've seen now twice the rumor mill in action. A month ago it was due
> to a water pipe breaking and causing the Kenai data center to be
> temporarily shut down. And just yesterday it was a mistaken
> interpretation of a download error and inability to ping some servers
> where ping was administratively disabled, that led to wild
> speculations that Oracle as preemptively disabling their servers
> before we could migrate.  The first rumor made it into the press.  The
> second, fortunately, was squashed before the false rumor spread too
> far.
>
> Oracle has stated repeatedly that they are committed to aiding with
> the migration to Apache. Andrew has done well squashing rumors when
> they pop up, but with the timezone difference this can take several
> hours.  But since this seems to reoccur at regular intervals, for
> various reasons, I wonder if this would merit one or more FAQ's:

Just to be clear, I'm volunteering to put this up on the web site. But
I would like to make sure we have consensus on the responses.

> 1) How should I report outages of OpenOffice.org services?

I assume all outages should be reported to the ooo-dev list?  Once the
migration starts it is impossible for the average end user to
determine whether the service is hosted by Oracle or Apache.  So
better to just report everything here.

> 2) What is the migration plan for moving OpenOffice.org on to Apache
> infrastructure?

We should point to the plans on the wiki, perhaps with a few general
comments on the goals.

> 3) What is Oracle contributing to Apache?

Is there an authoritative statement on this?  I know there is an SGA,
but that is not public.  So what can we say here? I'd prefer to link
to an authoritative statement by Oracle on what they are committed to
contributing (even if in general terms).

> 4) How much longer will Oracle keep their OpenOffice servers up? Will
> they shut them down without notice?

Again, I'd love to point to an authoritative statement, since that
would work best to squash the rumor mill the next time.