incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: [Issues] [DISCUSS] Can we track Issues Somehow? (was RE: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?)
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 13:03:29 GMT
On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 11:11 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> A tracked issue keeps things in one place, it provides a record of open work items and
the actions on it are apparently posted to the list.  So it is much easier to follow the
ones you care about, review them, and so on.  It is also a safer place to post patches, feature
requests, and so on where they can sit until we are actually ready to do something with them.
 The record of progressing action is simply different than tracking wiki pages.

You were originally asking about issues related to migration.  I don't
expect that will include many patches, feature requests (at least not
outside of the list discussions).

If you have other issues of a more general nature, why not just stick
them in the existing Bugzilla?  Nothing there will be lost.  It might
be locked to updates for a day or two during the actual migration.
But up to that point all issues entered there are slated to be
eventually migrated to an Apache host.

> I miss having one.  We're going to need one, it would be good to figure out how to remove
the roadblock involved in worrying how to preserve the OpenOffice.org bugzilla if possible.

That part's easy, at least conceptually.  Someone steps up and volunteers.

> I also have no idea how many issues we are missing from public contributors because there
is no one to place them.

Don't you think the public would be more familiar with the OOo
Bugzilla tracker that has been around for years than any new,
temporary issue tracker that we might set up?  If you want, we could
post a link to the OOo BZ from our home page, for the benefit of those
who are newly involved with the project.  Post-migration, the URL
should be the same.

> What I do instead, for specifics to the implementations, is post bugs on LibreOffice
and use their user list.

So you can do the same for OpenOffice, right?  Or is there some
problem I'm not seeing with this?

> But we have plenty of work items around the migration here, and if we had an issue tracker,
I would hope that is more inviting for folks taking on something they see as immediately within
their grasp.

I still think for migration-related issues, the mailing list and the
wiki are the best places.  Adding a third place to store such
information will just scatter the information more than concentrate
it.  If we had used an issue tracker consistently from the start it
might have been different.  But we didn't.

>  - Dennis

Where's Ours?)

> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> It's been two months since the podling started and we still don't have issue tracking.
>>
>> 1. We need something for recording and tracking issues now, including ones that are
involved in the migrations we're struggling with.

> Do we?  I mean, do we need something more than discussing them in
> clearly-labeled threads on the mailing list?  Or tracking plans on the
> wiki, as we are doing already?
>
>> 2. We don't want to foreclose how we end up finally migrating the OpenOffice.org
bug tracker and all of the history that represents.

>> I don't know enough to see how to have (1) and (2) both.  Can we choose one quickly
for transitional use, and then merge the OO.o bugs with it or merge it with the OO.o bugs,
whichever works?

>> It looks like three choices have been proposed:
>>
>>  1. Apache JIRA
>>  2. Apache bug-tracker
>>  3. Google Code issue tracker (available on Apache Extras)
>>

> I started tracking some items on the wiki, as a short term approach.
> Since there appears to be a great deal of enthusiasm for using the
> wiki, how about start that way?  If we're dealing with a dozen or 2
> issues or fewer, then setting up a JIRA or BZ issue is overkill.
> Remember, we're already tracking planning activities related to the
> migration on the wiki.  It isn't clear that trying to tease action
> items out of the plans on the wiki and then placing them in JIRA does
> anything for us.
>
> Also, we should avoid the seductive illusion that activity is a
> substitute for progress.  Having volunteers move forward on the code
> check-ins and on the real Bugzilla migration would be progress.
> Churning on issue tracking would not.
>
>> I'm all for ease-of-use.  How can we have a working issue tracker off of the critical
path around migrating the OpenOffice.org bug tracker without getting in the way of that more
complex effort?  Do we have to choose one for the migrated bug tracking now or can we resolve
that later?