incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: users-JNqQRFIbOJOM4zKIHC2jIg@public.gmane.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev-JNqQRFIbOJOM4zKIHC2jIg@public.gmane.org]
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 23:38:28 GMT
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 7:25 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 18:21 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

>> > There were 56 posts to users@openoffice.org in the last week. Traffic is
>> > highest after a new release. Here is a list by month for 2011: Jan 409
>> >  Feb 290    Mar 366    Apr 197    May 218    Jun 233    Jul 123
 Aug 160

>> So the English support forum has 613 *active threads* for August
>> alone.  In many cases that multiplies out to multiple posts per
>> thread.  So the forum traffic dwarfs the mailing list traffic.

>> > You have now. How much response do you expect in six hours (working hours in
>> > NA) ?
>> >

>> So that is one.

>> > They will when you have a new release.
>> >

>> Forums will still dominate.
>>
>> > I am very pleased to hear that providing user support is not important.
>> >

>> That really doesn't add to the conversation, Larry.
>>
>> I think we have similar goals.
>
> Finally - actually I do not know what you goals are and more importantly
> I do not know what the overall goal of what is happening here is.
>
> That is not rhetorical, are we just sunsetting the OO.o project are we
> setting up to become OSS-Symphony or are we building a user facing
> product...it makes a difference as to what needs to be done now.

Honestly?  We're bikeshedding while waiting for the SVN dump to be
loaded.  But we should probably use this time to get Bugzilla migrated
to Apache, since we're going to be hurting if we don't have that in a
few more weeks.

Of course, it is worth having a discussion about high importance/lower
urgency things, like our long term support strategy, but that should
probably occur in its own thread.