incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: users-JNqQRFIbOJOM4zKIHC2jIg@public.gmane.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev-JNqQRFIbOJOM4zKIHC2jIg@public.gmane.org]
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 22:21:12 GMT
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Larry Gusaas <larry.gusaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2011-08-23 3:37 PM  Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> Does it matter?  The English list is getting very little traffic.
>
> There were 56 posts to users@openoffice.org in the last week. Traffic is
> highest after a new release. Here is a list by month for 2011: Jan 409
>  Feb 290    Mar 366    Apr 197    May 218    Jun 233    Jul 123    Aug 160

So the English support forum has 613 *active threads* for August
alone.  In many cases that multiplies out to multiple posts per
thread.  So the forum traffic dwarfs the mailing list traffic.

>>  A note was sent today asking about interest.  I've seen zero affirmative
>
> You have now. How much response do you expect in six hours (working hours in
> NA) ?

So that is one.

>> So I don't think any of the lists will get much traffic.
>> But it makes sense to JFDI and move on to more important things.
>
> They will when you have a new release.

Forums will still dominate.

> I am very pleased to hear that providing user support is not important.

That really doesn't add to the conversation, Larry.

I think we have similar goals. Support is important. The question is
how best to do it.  If all we're doing is considering the merits of
different access methods to support, without looking at the
implications of fragmenting the repositories and the resulting
knowledge base, then we are doing a poor job at thinking this through.
  Remember the best support site is the one that allows the user to
answer their own question, without signing up for a mailing list or
posting to a forum. We should be looking at how we can prevent user
support questions.