incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Request for comments: Community Wiki Services web page.
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2011 01:59:22 GMT
On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Nóirín Plunkett <noirin@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 3:03 AM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, T.J.    I hope you do continue volunteering.
>>
>> I'd like to at least see a list of all existing super-users on the
>> wiki, so we can confirm:
>>
>> 2) That they are signed up on the ooo-dev list.  I think it is hard to
>> be a an effective wiki admin, reviewing content, etc. and making
>> judgement calls, and encouraging editors, if you are not following the
>> progress of the project discussions on its main list.
>
> I don't actually think this is necessary. Over at httpd we manage just
> fine with keeping our wiki gardened and useful without assuming that
> the wiki admins are involved or interested in the primary -dev list.
> (-dev lists can be pretty overwhelming at times!)

Well, right now all we have for discussions is ooo-dev.  So if a wiki
admin is not on ooo-dev then they are not really involved with the
project.

I assume at some point we create additional lists, and maybe one will
be an ooo-general or something.  I'd be happy at that point to only
require subscription to the general list.

Would that make more sense?

> Granted, we have a -docs list there that we don't have here, but I
> think as long as some of the -dev folk are on the wiki team, there's
> no need for all of the wiki team to be on -dev.

I think it is necessary (whether ooo-dev or newly created list, TDB)
for two reasons:

1) To stay informed about the project.

2) To keep the PPMC informed about issues on the wiki

Communications is a two-way street. We need someplace for that to take
place.  If admins are not subscribed to the list then they are not
communicating.  Side channel communications don't count.  As I've been
told before, "If it didn't happen on the list, it didn't happen"

>> As for being a committer, I wouldn't hold that to be a requirement for
>> being a wiki admin/moderator.  I think being appointed and answerable
>> to the PPMC is sufficient.
>
> I think having an ICLA on file would be useful for admins; I don't
> know that it's *necessary*, per se, but I'd definitely regard that
> level of work as a "contribution", and so it's nice to have :-) It
> also makes the process quicker/easier if we later vote any of these
> folk in as committers.

Right.  And being a committer and having an Apache ID is good for many
other things.

-Rob