incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: [www] html instead of markdown (mdtext)?
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2011 19:44:30 GMT
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am proposing that we adopt plain HTML for the OOo website instead of the
> current markdown (mdtext) implementation.
>
> I hesitate to make this recommendation given ALL the time and research Dave
> and others have already spent on the current incubator website, but, I feel,
> given that we will be migrating a rather large existing site, it makes
> sense.

Where can I find the sources for the current website?  Not the wiki
stuff, but the parts that you think would be difficult to migrate?

> I also realize that doing this will "break" the ability to use the webgui
> editing capability of the Apache CMS, forcing everyone to use svn for page
> updates. However, I don't have a good feel right now for the ultimate impact
> of that -- e.g. what do we expect in terms of web site editors.
>
> This would allow us to continue to use the default template system
> (Dotiac::DTL) but eliminate the need for wrapping or intermixing markdown
> text with normal HTML. HTML files shouldn't require any "wrapping" functions
> at all I think, since this is the indigenous format for web servers. We
> would have to bypass header, footer and navigation items for anything that
> *isn't* html, like js, css files.

We should also consider that the best approach might be to not do
mdtext and not do Dotiac::DTL, but to adopt a newer framework.

> Unfortunately, I've had a very difficult time this week trying to find any
> information on the setup details of Dotiac::DTL (documentation not
> available) -- the relationship of the two .pm files to the template areas,
> etc.
>
> I took at look around at many the Apache web areas (svn) at:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/
>
> You will see, as I did, that the vast majority are not using markdown, and
> this is NOT a requirement.
>
> Anyway, thoughts/comments on this proposal?

HTML is not a panacea, of course.  It is very easy to design pages
that look bad, are broken from portability,  internationalization and
accessibility standpoint, introduce security issues, etc.  So having a
constrained markup can be a good thing for a web site that you expect
many people of various skill levels to edit.

Just a thought:  Could you do the entire website in MediaWiki, with
only exception cases (download page, etc.) done in HTML?