incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Who wants to build OpenOffice?
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:33:44 GMT
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Raphael Bircher <r.bircher@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 30.08.11 21:24, schrieb Rob Weir:
>>
>> We're blessed to have experienced OOo hackers on the list who have
>> already jumped on the new code repository and started making
>> improvements.
>
> Pavel has already build AOOo succsfull on a Mac, and I tryed it... but crash
> my Mac with a terrible command line typo ;-) I will reinstall it in the next
> days, and try it again.
>>
>> But I see we have 214 people subscribed to the mailing list, including
>> many who were not previously working on OOo code.  This is great.
>> Growing the community to bring in new developers is key to the success
>> of the project.
>>
>> Do any of you want to get an AOOo dev environment set up, so you can
>> build OpenOffice?  If so, please respond to this note, and state what
>> operating system you are interested in building on.
>>
>> Based on this information, we can have a discussion on how best to get
>> you up to speed, whether via Q&A on this list, via IRC chat, a phone
>> conference or maybe even a virtual machine image.
>
> Virtual Image you can only use for Free OS. We use IRC to solve build
> problemes. In the last days there was also more traffic on
> #dev.openoffice.org on freenode. So it would be great to see more developer
> there.

I was thinking it might be good to put a focus on this.  For example,
pick one day when everyone who wants to get started on Mac builds will
work on that.  We coordinate in advance with Pavel, so he is available
on IRC that day.  We have a thread so we can discuss and compare
notes.  The end result of that day (or maybe 72 hours) is everyone who
wants to build with Mac has done it.  And we have a set of
enhancements/corrections that we can feed back into the build
documentation, if anything was wrong or unclear.  Then, on another
day, we do Debian, and on another day we do Windows, BSD, etc.