incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: [WWW] Web analytics
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:59:12 GMT
On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/13/2011 07:23 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Kay Schenk<kay.schenk@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>

>>> On 08/13/2011 05:55 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> <--snip-->

>>> <--snip-->
>>>
>>> OK, a couple of short comments on this -- esp Google analytics.
>>>
>>> G. analytics requires code inserted into pages you want to track. Not a
>>> biggie since we have templates, but...if the analytics server is down
>>> (rarely but it DOES happen), this prevents page loading. Analytics is
>>> great
>>> but really maybe overkill for just simplistic info like browser
>>> identification. I have no knowledge of Piwik.
>>>

>> That was first generation.  Google Analytics now has an asynchronous
>> option, which allows the page to render while the tracking code does
>> its stuff in the background.  No idea if Piwik allows that as well.
>
> oops! OK -- my bad. Haven't kept up with this in a while.
>
> Still I can't help but think that Analytics, with its individual
> registration (i.e. by a designated individual) might be more of an
> administrative headache than we really need for simple tracking stats.
> It's a great service but would it serve our administrative setup needs?

Yes, but it is the same problem we'll run into with any other online
service we want to use for the project, where the service has a single
login.  So if we want an AOOo Twitter account, or Facebook fan page,
or whatever, then we'll need some way to manage that registration and
access to that account.

So we need to figure that out eventually.