incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: [www] html instead of markdown (mdtext)?
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 15:15:54 GMT
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> (To provide a little context while Gav may be asleep)
>
> On 8/12/2011 9:26 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> ...snip snip snip...

>>> Just to put a blocker on this right away, we will not be using the wiki
>>> as the
>>> main website or the main entrance into the OOo world.
>>>

>> Since it is not self-evident to me why a wiki would be a problem for
>> the main website, could you explain this a little further?  Is there a
>> technical problem?  Remember, the wiki already comprises several
>> thousand pages of website content, so in a very real sense the "main"
>> website is already the wiki.
>
> Performance.  As I understand it, the bulk of all apache.org content is
> served statically as html files.  Putting a major project's homepage website
> like the future office.a.o (or whatever name) up as a wiki would add a
> significant amount of load to our servers, even for a highly efficient wiki
> engine.

Thanks, that gives some context.  So "main" in this case is not
necessarily only the top level page, i.e., an eventually
openoffice.apache.org or the current www.openoffice.org.    Certainly
those pages would be some of the most highly-trafficked pages.  But we
probably have some others that are also, FAQ's,  Release notes,
download page, etc.

But that still leaves the long tail of the thousands of other pages
that are individually accessed rarely, but may add up to significant
load.

I'm surprised there is no caching mechanism for MediaWiki to simply
write out up static versions of pages and then invalidate the cache
for a particular page when it is changed.  In theory you could have
the rarely-changed pages be just as efficient as static HTML.  Plugins
exist that do this for WordPress, for example.