incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Request for comments: Community Wiki Services web page.
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2011 01:03:57 GMT
On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 8:41 PM, TJ Frazier <tjfrazier@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> Rob,
> On 8/7/2011 19:53, Rob Weir wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> I assuming that under the name "branding changes" we include:
>>
> [snip]
>>
>> 5) Suspension of legacy wiki admins or other super users who have not
>> been appointed to their role by the PPMC.  We could be proactive in
>> this by identifying such users and inviting them to join the project
>> now, to ensure no loss of continuity.
>>
> Methinks I see a small change in the qualifications. As one such user
> (sysop), I gladly volunteer to continue in that role. I can submit an iCLA,
> if that would help (it's on my WIGATI list). Since I rarely, if ever, make
> any substantial contributions, I don't expect to become a committer; I just
> do little stuff.

Thanks, T.J.    I hope you do continue volunteering.

I'd like to at least see a list of all existing super-users on the
wiki, so we can confirm:

1) That they are interesting in remaining active on the wiki.  Having
abandoned admin accounts would be bad for security.

2) That they are signed up on the ooo-dev list.  I think it is hard to
be a an effective wiki admin, reviewing content, etc. and making
judgement calls, and encouraging editors, if you are not following the
progress of the project discussions on its main list.

3) That the PPMC agrees to appoint them to their role as admin,
moderator or whatever.  That is the accountability.  Just as an admin
and moderator acts on user behavior that is inappropriate, the PPMC
may need to act on admin or moderator behavior that is inappropriate.
And of course, the Apache Board is there to act on PMC behavior that
is inappropriate.  And the Board is elected by Apache Members.  So
there is accountability to the community all around.

As for being a committer, I wouldn't hold that to be a requirement for
being a wiki admin/moderator.  I think being appointed and answerable
to the PPMC is sufficient.  But you should know that a committer is
about commitment to the project and a record of contributions, which
can be of various kinds.  It is not just coding or writing doc.  It
could be a a record of stellar work on the wiki, encouraging new
editors, shaping the direction of the wiki, growing the community,
etc., as an admin/moderator.

-Rob