incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: [WWW] Web analytics
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 21:01:33 GMT
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Simon Phipps <> wrote:
> On 12 Aug 2011, at 21:14, Eike Rathke wrote:
>> So first question is: analytics yes or no, which affects also the
>> Privacy Policy.
> I suggest the right question is "which project members need which data and why". The
answer today may well be "none", since we don't actually have any resources to visit yet.
This is also likely to change over time, and we'll need to add analytics as and when people
request (and justify) according to their specific needs and remove them when they're no longer
> I suggest we resist the idea of capturing bulk analytics "just because", and instead
devise a lightweight process for justifying and requesting collection of data. I'd guess there
is already a process to copy somewhere in Apache - any mentors with suggestions where to look?

I see that tracking code is used with the websites of most of the
groups you are affiliated with:  LibreOffice (Piwik), ForgeRock
(Google Analytics, including in the community pages) and OSI  (Google
Analytics).  And as was mentioned before, uses Google
Analytics currently.

Have you given them similar advice?  Or is there something special
about OpenOffice at Apache that suggests that we should not be
optimizing our website based on visitor stats like others, including
LibreOffice, are?

> S.

View raw message