incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:26:30 GMT
On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> This should be at the "User support: beyond forums or lists" thread but I hesitate to
confuse other ways of reading this list that don't like title changes (and I am using reply
to have previous material attached - I might try forward instead on some occasion).

> I have been running a filter on StackExchange sites long enough to have some hits with
new posts that use the openoffice.org tag.

> Experience:
>
>  I can get from the filter notice to the StackExchange post by direct link.  I can
post an answer or, more likely, a request for details/clarification once there.

>  However, there is no way to track an individual post.  So to see if there has been
any activity on the post once it is non-knew, I have to manually go look.  I can do that
by saving the original notice in a folder of ones to review at some point.  (There is a list
of answers I've posted in my profile, but it is not organized for use in this manner.)

>  Not very appealing in attempting to maximize my cycles available for actually providing
forum support.

One thing to note about Stack Exchange is that more capabilities are
made available to you based on how many points you've earned.  So it
is tricky to tell, by casual review, what features might be available
to a deeply-involved moderator.

>  - Dennis

posts and also email subscriptions (though I remember shutting that off once I was overwhelmed).
 Apparently one can subscribe by tag.

> I did that.  I set up a query that uses the openoffice.org tag (I was not brave enough
to use the search term instead but I did specify all sites) and I will receive e-mail notifications.

> We'll see if those make it easy to go to the question, review, and respond.
>
>  - Dennis

 They have over 1200 items, and there is an openoffice.org tag/category although it is not
always used.