incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Fundraising
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:23:55 GMT
On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:

>> > All true with regard to the use of trademarks, but mostly orthogonal to
>> the question of the AOOo project's attitude towards third-party fundraisers.
>> AOOo is in a unique position compared with all prior Apache projects of
>> which I am aware and the various comments on this thread indicate we need to
>> give thoughtful and clear guidance.
>> >

>> Agreed.  But this guidance comes in response to thoughtful and clear
>> proposal from an organization that wishes to use the trademark.
>>

> Assuming you mean TeamOOo, does that mean you believe their name is a
> trademark infringement?

You are making a false assumption.   We don't have a proposal from TeamOOo.

t think there is much we can say in general other than "Specific
proposals are welcome".  But given a specific proposal, one of the
first things I'd look at is whether the trademark was used in a way
that implied endorsement by Apache, or whether it was merely the
minimum necessary to express the charitable purpose of the
organization.