incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fundraising
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2011 08:52:40 GMT
On 15 August 2011 02:20, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:

> Raphael Bircher wrote on Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 08:01:45 +0200:
>
> > I assume that a donnation to the ASF is only tax-free in the US.
> > Every Country has here there oven criteria. That's the reason why
> > Wikipedia has NGO's in each Country. It means, donnation to the ASF
> > will not be Tax-Free in Switzerland.
>
> I'm aware of one case of an entity incorporated in Europe having wanted
> to donate to the ASF but faced tax issues in the process.  They ended up
> supporting the project in other ways.
>
> BTW: I don't see ASF having NGO's in each country.  Having one NGO is
> enough overhead...

In the UK you have to be a registered Charity with a board of trustees to
get tax relief on donations. Setting up a charity is much more involved than
setting up a company. Many non-profit companies are either CICs or companies
limited by guarantee rather than limited companies with shareholders. One
reason why we are a straight limited company is that unless we were a
charity there really isn't much advantage.

One other method of getting resource into the projects is through EU grants.
Over the last 2 years I have written 3 successful applications with a grant
value of about 800,000 Euros.  Unfortunately, the recent OpenOffice.org
application failed, but that was on a legal technicality because the
submitting organisation in Germany was not the right type of legal entity
:-( The application was deemed to be good enough. So I propose that we put
in at least 2 versions of this through 2 different teams to different
National Agencies. One for Apache OOo and one for LibO. Since the
application is based on certification of end users we could "clone" this
application further eg to other Apache projects that could benefit from
skills certification or more generally other FOSS projects such as Inkscape,
GIMP, Audacity etc. If anyone has any suggestions for Apache projects that
could be candidates, or better still interest in running such a project
please speak up. You need to be able to apply through a legal company or
public sector body in an EU country. We can get grant funding to meet and
plan and I will provide whatever support is necessary. I can find partners
in a range of EU countries.

We can apply for these grants each year (unless the EU changes the system).
If we can use these to get viable certification programmes for FOSS going,
that can then generate further income in perpetuity. It's low risk because
the grants are not money that has to be repaid but it is in our (FOSS)
interest to set up a sustainable business so that we are not dependent on
them in the future.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940